home

Saturday 6 May 2017

A study of Birds

Exciting news!!! I won April Challenge at Mixed Media Monthly- What's your super power.  whoo hoo. So now i am going to for two months in a row... this month's challenge is Put a Stamp on it.

I love birds- like fake birds, drawings, ornamental birds not live birds flying at my head.  I found these FAB foam birds at the store tree in Camrose and the creativity exploded.  There will be 6 5.5"x 5.5" mixed media pieces today i will show off two.  I am spending the weekend at Bittern Lake scrapbooking with some of my favorite ladies so lots of time to create.


No tutorial today I think this will be class one day.  Media used were white crackle paste, embossing enamel, brown, teal, and copper acrylic paint, charcoal, twine, chipboard compass, primary elements, artisan powder, glossy accents and mechanicals.
So I was going for grungy vintage rustic feel so everything is painted in a patina effect.  Successful love it when it is a successful scrapbook day.


LOVE LOVE my art deco crackle paint.  I add acrylic (very watered down) coat and charcoal really exposes the crackle.

The background paper is actually an old ledger found by Daryl at treasured memories, they always have some great antique finds.


Birds found at dollar tree, I cut them in half so they have a flat back, easier to glue in place and not as thick, plus i love to cut things.

This is my other favorite page, again a hacked up foam bird.  This one uses a clay filigree created with polymer clay and a prima mold.

My favorite thing at the moment is to rub charcoal around mechanicals, plus the charcoal rubs into the cracks of the paste and highlight the cracks.


To paint the filigree layer layer and layer.  Start with copper, next brown just in the grooves, then wipe off brown on top.  Mix patina artisan powder with gel medium paint (randomly) on high points then repeat with merlot artisan powder. I finish with teal acrylic paint (sparingly) the artisan powder dries matt the acrylic paint a little gloss teal.  Final look highly effective.

Today two more pages!!




























2 comments: